Website Duke Energy
This position is responsible for the negotiation and acquisition of easement rights for the installation and maintenance of Duke Energy’s Distribution system; researching of company and public records to determine ownership of property or prior rights; review and interpretation of engineering drawings, site plans and legal descriptions in connection with the preparation of easement documents; review, tracking and processing of easement documents to comply with corporate policy and state law. This position acts as the subject matter expert in support of easement related issues for Distribution, Resource Management and Construction, System Engineering, Real Estate, Transmission, Utilities, or any other corporate groups. Position provides training and support to Research Support Specialist. The Land Rep supports the company’s efforts in safety and customer satisfaction, and works closely with the key internal customers to ensure customer needs are met.
- Works closely with internal and external customers to resolve right of way issues within established schedule and budget to provide timely construction of company facilities and efficient utilization of Company resources.
- Interfaces with Senior Land Rep and Legal Department personnel on matters relating to real estate law, property title questions, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) related matters, and commission and/or court testimony.
- Stays abreast of current real estate market conditions through interface with various local, regional, and national real estate professionals, e.g., appraisers, attorneys, negotiators, brokers, other real estate managers outside of Duke Energy
- Researches professional journals and publications.
- Utilizes role as subject matter expert in real estate to provide best practices in the protection and utilization of Company assets.
- Strong command of Company needs with the ability to communicate those needs to landowners and responds to their questions with limited assistance from Senior Land Rep or Supervision.
- Conducts research and takes appropriate action to obtain clear title to property, e.g., interviews all parties who may have an ownership interest; coordinates requests for attorney prepared title opinions.
- Researches public records, interviews independent real estate professionals and compiles market data for use in the valuation process.
- Reviews information disseminated by Legal and Tax Departments, State Boards, etc., on changes to various real estate, tax, safety, and environmental laws and codes and ensures compliance by subordinates.
- Participates in professional organizations and associations, e.g. IRWA, MUREM
- Researches internal records for existing land right records to aid internal and external customers. Utilize working knowledge of real estate law and engineering discipline and its application to Company acquisition projects.
- Stays in touch with issues from the International Right-of-Way Association.
- Utilizes SharePoint and Work Management System to track and manage work. Remain abreast of current best practices, regulations, and laws relating to all Real Estate functions.
- Identifies opportunities to acquire easements whenever possible to protect Company assets.
- Uses advanced negotiating strategies to facilitate the acquisition process. Handles negotiations and tracking on complex projects such as DOT, municipalities, etc.
- Conducts real estate transactions of small value or non-monetary projects. Value/Research properties/property rights to estimate the fair market value as indicated through the use of accepted approaches to real estate valuation.
- Assists and advises Company personnel and Attorneys in legal proceedings related to eminent domain preparation and other. Research and review Franchise Agreements, Municipal Charters and other legal documents as necessary to determine Company rights. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external personnel/groups.
- Facilitates communication and coordination between Company departments in the acquisition and disposition of real estate interests.
- Identify and assist in the resolution of defects in land titles so that at the conclusion of property acquisitions, clear title is acquired.
- Analyzes market data to obtain initial value for the assigned appraisal subject.
- In addition to required degree, 3 plus years related work experience
- In lieu of Associate’s degree(s) AND 3 plus year(s) related work experience listed above, High School/GED AND 5 plus year(s) related work experience
- Associate’s degree
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate
- In addition to desired degree, 6 plus years related work experience
- Notary Public and/or Certified Real Estate Broker and/or International Right of Way Association (IRWA)
Company: Duke Energy
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Indianapolis, IN, US
Application Deadline: N/A